I’m a fairly prolific creator and I love to talk (and listen!). These days my research is mostly around confronting harmful content on the web such as hate groups, bots, conspiracies, and disinformation campaigns but I have a wide range of experience and interests.
Scholarly and Professional Reports
Ross, AR and Bevensee, E. (2020). “Confronting the Rise of Eco-Fascism Means Grappling with Complex Systems”. CARR Research Insight 2020.3. London, UK: Centre for Analysis of the Radical Right.
Bevensee, E., Aliapoulios, M., Dougherty, Q., Baumgartner, J., McCoy, D., & Blackburn, J. (2020). SMAT: The Social Media Analysis Toolkit. ICWSM. http://doi.org/10.36190/2020.18
Impact report on Enspiral network.
(Available without paywall here)
Bevensee, E., & Ross, A. R. (2018). The Alt-Right and Global Information Warfare. 2018 IEEE International Conference on Big Data (Big Data), 4393–4402. https://doi.org/10.1109/BigData.2018.8622270
Bevensee, Emmi, “Decentralization in Violent Conflict Zones: Views from the Periphery” (2015). Capstone Collection. 2772. https://digitalcollections.sit.edu/capstones/2772
Bevensee, Emmi. 2014. “Transwomen, the Prison-Industrial Complex, and Human Rights: Neoliberalism and Trans-Resistance.” Societies Without Borders 9 (1): 96-110. https://scholarlycommons.law.case.edu/swb/vol9/iss1/14
Led quantitative and qualitative research for report, “More Than a Wall” with the Transnational Institute looking at border militarization and corporate corruption.
New report on how white supremacist culture utilizes social media published by the University of Auckland.
Emmi Bevensee. (2019). Free Speech Dreams and Fascist Memes. In Fighting Fascism: Antifascism, Free Speech, and Political Violence (pp. 275–316). Retrieved from https://store.c4ss.org/index.php/product/fighting-fascism/
Political Commentary and Media
Three part series called “How COVID and Syria conspiracies introduce fascism to the left: The Red-Brown media ecosystem“
This investigation outlines information warfare surrounding Hong Kong and helps show a path between super powered disinformation.
Most of my writing can be found on my author page at C4SS where I am currently a senior fellow. I generally blog polemic about borders, (anti-)fascism, economics, consent, and activism.
I’m very proud and excited about the Emotional Anarchism project which I hope to eventually turn into a book as well. It describes the relationship between emotional solidarity, thriving, and political work more generally and is accepting submissions.
Interview on stopping online fascist radicalization with The Spinoff in New Zealand
Speaking and Workshops Led
- “Beyond Free Speech: Misinfo and Power” at NetHui 2020
- “Building an Inclusive Internet” at NetHui 2019
- Memes, Manifestos, and Murder: Fascist Radicalization Online and How to Stop It at University of Auckland, New Zealand
- Ran workshop, “Twitter API and Bot-Detection” at Computational Social Science conference at the University of Arizona
- Gave talk on “Harmful Content Moderation: Tracking Hate, Bots, and Disinformation” at the Women in Data Science event at University of Arizona for over 100 people
- Ran workshop called “Hunting Hate Groups and Disinfo at Scale” at Scuttlefest P2P/decentralized computing hackers conference in New Zealand
- Taught undergraduate seminar on “Disinformation and Bot Detection”
- Taught graduate seminar on “Statistics in R for Librarians”
- Presented for IEEE in their Disinformation Workshop of the international Big Data conference
- Led multiple training sessions on technology activism at NPDev Summit in Oakland
- Ran “Doxx Defense” training at Movement Technologist Conference, Highlander Justice Center, TN – 2017